[syslog-ng] 3.3.6 - udp sources and delayed log receipt

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Tue Oct 23 20:42:15 CEST 2012

Thanks Balazs this explanation helps a lot. I now recall this discussion from an earlier thread.

Increasing flush-lines actuall causes more problems for me since my destiantion is
actually a pipe (fifo). The pipe does not buffer much data (8KB or something small like that) so a
large flush just blocks anyways.

Having increased the log_iw_size my delay is only in the order of seconds, and that might be due
to flush-lines and buffering on the sender/intermediate/destinations just resulting  in the messages
arriving out of order of the creation accross the 100's of servers. What I mean by this is that
the log lines are in order for each server, but one server may commit them to the syslog server
before/after a second server, so the time stamps from the various servers all get intermingled.

The end result now is that they time stamps are never out of order by more than a few seconds, so I don't
think it is my destination flush timings are biting me now.

We will be moving to an environment where we don't use the pipes for output any more, so this complexity will
go away in the near future.

Thanks for your explanation.

EVan.