[syslog-ng] GeoIP template function

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Oct 19 18:05:29 CEST 2012

Gergely Nagy <algernon at balabit.hu> writes:

> Unless you want to work on this yourself further, I'll spice it up with
> error handling and basic configurability in the next few days.

...where by days, I obviously meant months. Sorry!

> As you mentioned in person, it would be nice if the template function
> could be configured, preferably globally, so that one wouldn't have to
> repeat the same parameters over and over again in every template where
> it would be used.
>
> Things like returning country vs country code, the location of the
> database and so on and so forth should be configurable.

I ended up not caring about configurability for now. The country vs
country code thing is fairly easy, that can be done with some
command-line parsing. Using a different database is harder, as right
now, I open the database on module load.

With a @declare, it's easy to make the database configurable, but only
globally: you wouldn't be able to use multiple databases. I'm not sure
whether that's a problem or not. Nevertheless, it is something I don't
want to deal with right now.

The result is currently sitting on my feature/3.4/template-func/geoip
branch, but I will likely merge it into merge-queue/3.4 once I added
command-line parsing.