[syslog-ng] mongodb and TTL collections

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Oct 12 18:06:38 CEST 2012

"Lucas, Sascha" <Sascha.Lucas at gisa.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Mongodb 2.2 has a new feature called TTL collections (expire data by
> setting a TTL). An analogy to the classic logrotate. One constraint
> is, that you index a field of date BSON type[1]. As far as I know, atm
> syslog-ng can only store strings? Or how can it be done to store one
> field as date?

Right now, only with an external program. With syslog-ng 3.3, it will
stay that way, for 3.4, I have a half-baked patch that adds a date()
option to the mongodb destination.

I will backport that patch to 3.3 aswell, and it will be available as a
separate patch, but not as part of the official release.

If all goes well, this will be done by this weekend. Hopefully this'll
do until syslog-ng learns how to transfer type information too (which is
something I want to do for 3.4 too, but may not have time for it).