[syslog-ng] file("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel: "));

Sandor Geller Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Tue May 29 12:38:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Gergely Nagy <algernon at balabit.hu> wrote:
> Tom <tommedema at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just started using syslog-ng to pipe log files to Loggly.com.
>>
>> I have a couple of questions.
>>
>> First of all, why is there a `: ` after kernel here?
>
> I do not know why there is a ': ' - my reading of the program_override()
> docs (see the admin guide link below) suggests that it should be
> 'kernel' alone.

It's a relic from the syslog-ng 2.x era... log_prefix("kernel: ") was
needed to have the same messages logged as klogd/syslogd used to
write, however log_prefix() left the header untouched so was a partial
solution. People replacing log_prefix with program_override should be
aware that the trailing doublecolon/ space should get removed from the
configs.

hth,

Sandor