[syslog-ng] file("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel: "));

Tom tommedema at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:37:41 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I just started using syslog-ng to pipe log files to Loggly.com.

I have a couple of questions.

First of all, why is there a `: ` after kernel here?

file("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel: "));

I have seen people do it differently, like so:

file("/proc/kmsg" program_override("kernel));

Does this matter? And more general, what does the entire rule do exactly?

The following is my syslog-ng.conf file:

https://gist.github.com/2819768

As you can see, I have a lot of log files. Is this the proper way of
doing this? Doesn't it cost a lot of resources for syslog-ng to check
all these files for changes?

Finally, where can I find the documentation? Eg. I would like to learn
about the specifics of follow_freq and what the parameter actually
implies.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,
Tom