[syslog-ng] System Requirements for Syslog-ng

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri May 25 08:31:04 CEST 2012

Jerome Yanga <jerome.yanga at gmail.com> writes:

> What are the system requirements for each mode?  I have been trying to
> look for this piece of information in the site but I have not found
> it.

If it has enough memory to run it, and enough space to hold syslog-ng
and its dependencies, and enough CPU power to do whatever processing you
want it to do, you're golden.

The smallest system I used syslog-ng on is a single core Linksys WRT54GL
router: 200Mhz MIPS CPU, 16Mb ram, 4Mb flash memory. I had to cheat
here, because I couldn't squeeze my firmware and syslog-ng onto 4Mb, so
syslog-ng is pulled in later during the boot via NFS. (~32Mb space
should be enough for a reasonable system with syslog-ng installed, by
the way).

The router is turned on 24/7, and collects the logs of my home network,
and forwards them either to my desktop machine if it is up, or to my
server if the desktop is not available. The speed is acceptable.

The requirements really depend on what you wish to do. Nevertheless, for
threaded mode, you want at least 2 CPU cores, otherwise it isn't half as
useful. And if you have 2 CPU cores, chances are, any other requirement
syslog-ng may have is already satisfied.