[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Insider - May 2012

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu May 3 12:03:22 CEST 2012

Dear syslog-ng users,

This is the 13th issue of the syslog-ng Insider, a monthly newsletter
that brings you syslog-ng related news.

Your feedback and news tips about the next issue is welcome at
documentation at balabit.com <mailto:documentation at balabit.com>

FEATURED NEWS

Have you tried to add custom information to log messages, fix
mis-formatted logs or anonymize logs?

---------------------------------
The next long-time-supported release of SSB version 3 LTS is about to be
released. This release includes a switch to 64-bit architecture, a huge
performance improvement in the indexing/searching feature for a large
number of message and search patterns and a couple of new features, too.
The following post plans to introduce those new features to you. The
updated User’s Manual will contain a detailed description of them — this
post is written more to serve as teaser and to highlight some of the use
cases we had in mind when we’d planned the features, and, of course, to
ask for your feedback about them.
http://gyp.blogs.balabit.com/2012/03/new-features-in-ssb-3-lts-rewriting-parts-of-the-messages/

Admin guide:
http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/ssb-3.0-guides/ssb-v3.0-guide-admin-en.html/index.html-single.html

syslog-ng participates in GSoC

------------------------------

This year syslog-ng participates in GSoC under the umbrella of openSUSE.
We have one student accepted, who will work on syslog-ng’s mongodb
destination.

The story of BalaBit's GSoC participation:
http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2012/04/syslog-ng-on-gsoc-thanks-opensuse/

What the student will do:
http://algernon.blogs.balabit.com/2012/05/in-the-land-of-open-source-the-free-reigns-king/

MongoDB howto

-------------

One of the major reasons to update to 3.3 other than threading is
MongoDB. It allows great flexibility when using patterns and storing
parsed data from logs. The syslog-ng documentation covers most
information necessary to use MongoDB, but this HowTo compiles all these
into a single document and extends it with features from the upcoming
syslog-ng 3.4 version.

http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/blog/2012/04/26/mongodb-howto/

OTHER SHORT NEWS

  *

    There is now an open source LogStore reader work in progress:
    https://github.com/algernon/balabit.logstore

  *

    syslog-ng 3.4 alpha packages are now available in the FreeBSD ports
    and also for openSUSE:
    http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/opensource-logging-system/downloads/3rd_party

  *

    syslog-ng and ELSA were presented at LOADays:
    http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2012/04/syslog-ng-at-linux-open-administration-days/

NEW RELEASES:

  *

    syslog-ng OSE 3.3.5:
    https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng-announce/2012-May/000142.html

  *

    syslog-ng OSE 3.4 alpha2:
    https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng-announce/2012-May/000143.html

  *

    libumberlog 0.2.1: http://algernon.github.com/libumberlog/

ARCHIVE

http://insider.blogs.balabit.com/

--
Peter Czanik (CzP)<czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream