[syslog-ng] ts_format(iso) bug or misunderstanding?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue May 1 13:18:35 CEST 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-06 at 07:08 -0400, Patrick Hemmer wrote:
> If syslog-ng is letting you set ts_format on the tcp destination
> driver (not throwing a syntax error), but isnt using it, then I'd
> definitely think bug (though this is something the balabit folks
> should confirm).

Yes, this is a bug (the question is whether the bug is that it is
possible to specify this option or that it doesn't work :)

I was discussing this with Algernon the other day, and the conclusion
was that we should probably implement ts-format() this way:

1) there'd be a global option, just like now
2) for file destinations the default ts-format() is to use the global
one
3) for non-file destinations, the default ts-format() is to use the BSD
one, ignoring the global setting.

That way there'd be a couple of ways to specify the ts-format for
non-file destinations:

1) use ts-format(global) to specify that we want the global setting to
be applied
2) use ts-format(iso) to use a specific format for the given destination
3) use a custom template

I think the current behaviour of ts-format() worked like this since 2.0,
so I wouldn't declare this a blocker issue, although it'd be best to fix
it. I'd appreciate patches though :)