[syslog-ng] Ongoing 3.3.4 memory leaks

Marvin Nipper Marvin.Nipper at stream.com
Fri Mar 30 23:52:55 CEST 2012

Hi.

Sorry, looking for some help.  Still trying to chase some memory leaks that I see on Solaris 10.  I'll crank up syslog-ng, and it'll start running at around 7 or 8MB, and interestingly, it will run that way sometimes for several hours, and then (for reasons unknown), I'll take a look at it a bit later, and suddenly it will have jumped to 26MB (or later on, maybe 75MB).  I've already applied the (older) logwriter.c fix and the (new) Gergely driver.h/afsocket.c fix, in an attempt to resolve known issues.  Certainly the logwriter fix corrected a super-nasty, continuous leak problem, but this other leak problem still lingers.

MY PROBLEM is that I'm wanting to use the debug symbols in syslog-ng, so that I can have the Solaris tools specifically show the exact location where these leaks are happening, BUT, whereas a non-debugging version of syslog-ng executes properly, when I configure syslog-ng with -enable-debug, the resulting executable will no longer start.  It immediately exits, coughing up what amounts to a syntax error (even though I'm using the exact same command-line invocation that I use on the non-debugged executable):

#/etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
syslog-ng service starting.
mkfifo: File exists
mkfifo: File exists
Usage: /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng { start | stop }
#

Something about enabling debugging is impacting the operational behavior of the resulting binary.

Anyway, I can use (for Solaris) libumem and mdb to narrow this down to a particular module, but without the debug symbols, I can't really get to a specific chunk of code, so it would obviously help to get that working.  If anyone has any ideas, I certainly would appreciate the input.

THANKS

Marvin Nipper

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.