[syslog-ng] allow setting up unix named sockets for listening

Patrick Hemmer syslogng at stormcloud9.net
Fri Mar 30 17:40:49 CEST 2012

When troubleshooting issues with our production syslog servers, its
often not possible to deliberately duplicate discovered issues as it
then affects production. Something which would be extremely useful in
this case is if we could configure syslog-ng to set up a unix socket as
a listener. Then whenever clients connect logs can be sent to the client.

Syslog-ng currently has unix-stream and unix-dgram destinations, but
they act as clients, only sending to already created sockets. There
could be other uses for this, basically allowing clients to connect
whenever they want and receive the logs. Kind of like a pipe
destination, but it works a bit cleaner since if no client is connected,
syslog-ng wouldnt have to buffer and drop messages (and it would allow
multiple clients).

Fairly low priority, but just something that I thought would be useful.

-Patrick