[syslog-ng] afsmtp packaging problems

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Mar 23 11:44:11 CET 2012

Peter Czanik <czanik at balabit.hu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> There are a couple of problem with smtp support. Tested on openSUSE and
> FreeBSD. Neither have libesmtp installed, at least not as default. So
> configure is right:
>
>    SMTP support (module)       : no
>
> On the other hand:
>
> - libafsmtp is built and installed
>
> - unlike the others, it is installed as a versioned library:

Both of these problems stem from the very same issue, which is also
present in afmongodb too: even if they're disabled, the Makefile.am
still has module_LTLIBRARIES set, and in that case, it doesn't set the
LDFLAGS, so -avoid-version doesn't get passed, and so on and so forth.

The correct fix here is to move the module_LTLIBRARIES line inside the
if ENABLE_SMTP block.

A patch doing that will soon follow.

> - option to disable smtp support

Oh, right. I forgot this one. The logic is present in configure.in, but
I forgot the --enable-smtp (& --disable-smtp) option. Sorry!

> - do not build/install it if build dependency is unavailable

Patch incoming.

> - do not install it as a versioned library

The patch for the above fixes this, as when the SMTP module is enabled,
it is correctly installed without a version. The bug only happens when
it's disabled.