[syslog-ng] using syslog-ng and parsing data from both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines

Mary A Waddick mary_a_waddick at raytheon.com
Thu Mar 1 19:20:47 CET 2012

Hi,

I am using nxlog to send data from both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines
to a Unix machine using syslog-ng .

My nxlog.conf files are configured to send im_mseventlog data for the
Windows XP boxes and im_msvistalog data for the Windows 7 boxes.

(See attached file: new nxlog.conf)

Therefore I get slightly different data for each machine.  The examples on
your website don't show me how to parse out all of the im_mseventlog or
im_msvistalog data from the different columns in msg.  Can you help me with
getting the data?

My syslog-ng.conf looks like this.  I was told that the eventlog data would
have the columns that I included in my table, but I am unable to figure out
how to pull that data out of the msg column using the provided macros.  I
have searched and searched, but have not found any examples.

(See attached file: syslog-ng.conf)

Thank you for your help.

Mary Anne Waddick
Raytheon Technical Services