[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.4.0alpha3 has been released

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Sat Jun 30 16:02:25 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 06/30/2012 08:37 AM, devel at balabit.hu wrote:

>     * Support for FreeBSD's utmpx database.
Maybe it's related, but on FreeBSD 8.1 now I get an ugly error message
on startup:

Error opening plugin module; module='afuser',
error='/usr/local/lib/syslog-ng/libafuser.so: Undefined symbol "getutent"'

It looks scary, but luckily syslog-ng works fine on the machine.

Also, it would be nice to see this 3.3 patch also on 3.4:
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-3.3/commit/aebc8171b57619cc39304e17ef7f874e48329579
Without it there are some ugly messages at startup, and syslog-ng does
not start if /dev/log is in the config file instead of the systemd
equivalent:
Jun 30 15:13:30 linux-lrw9 kernel: [    8.543788] syslog-ng[817]:
segfault at 0 ip b733009f sp bf9f6410 error 4 in
libafsocket.so[b7328000+18000]

My openSUSE 3.4 packages are now updated to 3.4 alpha3 (see
http://www.balabit.com/network-security/syslog-ng/opensource-logging-system/downloads/3rd_party).
One can easily update to alpha3 also on FreeBSD, even before the
syslog-ng-devel port is refreshed in ports. There are two easy steps:
- remove /usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng-devel/distinfo
- change the Makefile from alpha2 to alpha3
or a few more, if you want a proper pkg-plist :-) (version of
libsyslog-ng is changed and a patterndb related xsd is added)

Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream