[syslog-ng] non-UTF-8 data in mongodb

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Wed Jul 25 11:51:28 CEST 2012

"Lucas, Sascha" <Sascha.Lucas at gisa.de> writes:

> Is the syslog-ng shipped driver the root cause? Should syslog-ng
> utf8-encode the strings? Is this a bug, or do I miss something?

For performance reasons, the driver under syslog-ng does not do
encoding or UTF-8 validation. syslog-ng does have an encoding() option,
which certain sources support. You can use that to convert/verify that
incoming messages are properly utf-8 encoded.

I believe doing this on the source side is better than trying to do it
on the destination side, which is one of the reasons the mongodb driver
does not validate the strings it sends off to the server.