[syslog-ng] Glob character ranges

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Jul 21 08:20:41 CEST 2012

"T. A. Smooth" <catdaaaady at gmail.com> writes:

> Doing a "man glob" shows it can do ranges. And I thought i read some
> Syslog-ng doc that said it could do it too?

glob does support ranges, but glib's glob[1] sadly does not. If the
syslog-ng docs say somewhere it does, that is unfortunately a
documentation bug.

 [1]: http://developer.gnome.org/glib/unstable/glib-Glob-style-pattern-matching.html#glib-Glob-style-pattern-matching.description

As an alternative, you can use regexps - a bit costier, but for a simple
regex, hopefully not by much.

On another hand, not supporting ranges is suprising, and in other parts
of the code, syslog-ng already uses plain old glob().. it might be worth
considering switching the matching code over too, at some point.