[syslog-ng] mongodb with auth in OSE 3.3/3.4

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Jul 20 09:35:18 CEST 2012

"Lucas, Sascha" <Sascha.Lucas at gisa.de> writes:

> I would like to have mongodb support with auth enabled. With
> syslog-ng-OSE 3.3.5 this seems not supported?

Indeed, 3.3.5 does not support that. The settings are accepted, as basic
support was once in the driver, but for various reasons, was turned off.

> ATM I have no luck with 3.4.0alpha3 and mongodb (even without
> auth). But what I'm interested in, is to know if "mongodb with auth"
> will be supported in the 3.4 release?

Hopefully, yes, it will be supported by 3.4, once I get around to write
the code to do it (or find someone who's willing to write it ;).

> Or what future plans exists?

I plan to write auth support for 3.4. It's not particularly hard (the
library syslog-ng uses to talk to mongodb supports auth already), one
just has to be careful to properly handle reconnects and failovers when
using replicasets. That is something neither syslog-ng, nor the library
under it does well.

If anyone wants to add that feature themselves, I'm happy to explain the
code, and how it can be added - but at the moment, I lack the time to
write the code myself.