[syslog-ng] feature request?: monitor open logs for deletion/rename

Patrick Hemmer syslogng at stormcloud9.net
Wed Jul 11 07:49:52 CEST 2012

Something which I think would be an awesome feature would be to monitor
open file destinations for the file being renamed or deleted, and then
reopen the file in such an event. The benefit of this is that when doing
log rotation, you don't have to SIGHUP syslog-ng to make it re-open
files. It would also make it so that all destination buffers don't have
to be flushed and reopened, just the single file destination.

The only downside is portability as not all OSs support the same way of
doing this. On linux this can be easily done through inotify, and it
looks like the BSD equivalent is kqueue (though I have pretty much no
BSD experience). For platforms which there isn't a good method, we could
instead fall back to a simple polling.

-Patrick