[syslog-ng] ANN: syslog-ng 3.3 & 3.4 debian package news

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Jan 30 17:23:27 CET 2012

Hi!

I'd like to give a quick heads up regarding the syslog-ng deb packages I
provide[1]:

I recently pushed out a new version, 3.3.4.dfsg-1~mhp1, which is based
on the 3.3.4 release, with one patch applied. It's available for all the
usual Debian and Ubuntu platforms, except kfreebsd-*, see below.

Based on my download logs, I'm the only user of the kfreebsd-* packages,
and I only use them on one system: the buildd. So I'm going to drop
those arches, and provide i386, amd64 and powerpc only. If I missed
anyone, who'd like to have the kfreebsd debs around, please let me know,
and I'll keep them around! For now, the older 3.3.3 packages are still
available, but the newest 3.3.4 release has not been compiled for these
two platforms, and unless there's at least one more user, I plan to
remove kfreebsd-* from my repo during the next two weeks.

Also, since syslog-ng 3.4 is starting to have interesting features that
3.3 does not, I plan to start offering debian packages for this version
too, as soon as alpha1 is released (or perhaps earlier, if I grow too
impatient). They will be available separately, and those of you who use
my syslog-ng 3.3 packages won't get automatic upgrades to 3.4.

Those who will want to try the 3.4 debs, the planned sources.list lines
will follow this template:

deb http://packages.madhouse-project.org/$VENDOR $RELEASE syslog-ng/experimental

For example:

deb http://packages.madhouse-project.org/debian squeeze syslog-ng/experimental

Upgrades from 3.3 should be smooth and painless, at least I'll try my
best.

Also, if one would like to see any other architecture, release or
perhaps even another derivative distribution supported, speak up, and
I'll see what I can do!