[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng and tomcat6 & apache2 servers

Vámos Balázs vamos.balazs at zuriel.hu
Fri Jan 27 12:05:54 CET 2012

Ralf,

Here is how I did it with Apache on Linux.

1. I created a new LogFormat to include the virtual host name in access
log. Apache global config:
LogFormat "%v %h %m %U %>s %b %>D" syslog

2. I forwarded the access log and error log to syslog
CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.notice -t apache" syslog
ErrorLog syslog:local1

3. A forwarded facility local1 to my central syslog-ng server

This was my first method.
Currently I'm using a csv parser to parse the access log on client side
and I am sending to a log analyzer (LOGalyze) in json format. But if you
just want to collect them, you do not need to use this method.

Regards,

Balazs