[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.3.4 has been released

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 24 05:45:24 CET 2012

Has anyone tried to build an RPM using the supplied .spec file?

This works when building on a host where syslog-ng 3.3.4 is already installed, but if you try to do this on a host
where a previous version of syslog-ng is installed (such as 3.3.3) the rpmbuild process
compiles everything correctly, and links against libsyslog-ng but then the rpmbuild script
to a relink using libtool and -rpath which "finds" libsyslog-ng in the install directory rather than the
build tree, and ends up linking agains the currently installed libsyslog-ng which in my case is 3.3.3

% rpm -qpR /my/build/tree/syslog-ng-3.3.4-1.x86_64.rpm
libsyslog-ng-3.3.3.so()(64bit)
libsyslog-ng-3.3.4.so()(64bit)
libsyslog-ng-crypto.so()(64bit)

Then at RPM upgrade time, the dependency check fails since libsyslog-ng-3.3.3.so will no longer be available when 3.3.3 is
replaced by 3.3.4

Can this be fixed in
syslog-ng/Makefile
syslog_ng_LDADD = ... -lsyslog-ng

and change it to
syslog_ng_LDADD = ...-lsyslog-ng-3.3.4

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Evan.