[syslog-ng] limit of "log_fifo_size"

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Jan 16 21:18:00 CET 2012

On Tue, 2011-12-27 at 10:21 +0900, 外川 康徳 wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Is there limit of "log_fifo_size" on syslog-ng output
> message quing?
>
> I do know that real limit size of handling log messages
> depends on network environment or machine spec,
> but I'd like to know it has limit figure on its specification.

Nothing hard-coded in syslog-ng. It'll use memory once the queue fills
up (e.g. it is not preallocated, memory is only used when actually being
used).

The internal representation of a log message can take about twice the
log message size (could vary though), so if you know the average message
size, you can get the maximum memory use for this purpose.

Don't forget that queues are used for each destination, and although
syslog-ng attempts to share memory for messages stored in various
queues, it might happen that you actually store multiple copies.

Hope this helps.