[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng 3.2 connection timeout with firewall

André Larose andre.larose at telus.com
Tue Jan 10 14:57:07 CET 2012

Hi,

I found the timeout issue.  It turns out that the keep_alive is not generated by Syslog-NG but by the OS.

I adjusted the following values:
tcp_keepalive_time
tcp_keepalive_intvl
tcp_keepalive_probes

First in the live Kernel with the command :
sysctl -w  net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=180 net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl=180 net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes=9

Then I made it permanent with adding to /etc/sysctl.conf:
cat >>/etc/sysctl.conf <<EOF

#
# Keepalive parameters for the syslog-ng
#
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 180
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 180
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9

EOF

You can verify your work is done with the following command:
sysctl  net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes

net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 180
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 180
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9

I found the information from this URL: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/usingkeepalive.html

Maybe it could be mentioned in the documentation that the so_keep-alive  option can be tweaked at the kernel level.

Regards,

Message: 8