[syslog-ng] syslog-ng hangs with high message volume to sqlite database

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Feb 7 01:28:36 CET 2012

Patrick Hemmer <syslogng at stormcloud9.net> writes:

>> This looks interesting, and suspiciosly similar to something I saw
>> before. I'll see if I can track it down.
>>
>> By the way: "thread apply all backtrace full" is a very handy sequence
>> to remember: it gets a full backtrace of all threads, so you don't have
>> to switch between them and do a where each time.
>>
> Have you been able to make any progress on this?

Nope, unfortunately I wasn't able to allocate time for this yet. But
I'll look into it the next time I'm doing a batch of syslog-ng work
(most probably this coming friday, perhaps earlier, if time permits).

> I've got a cron job which is checking for this every few minutes and
> `kill -9`ing syslog-ng if it sees it. Seems like the entire system will
> hang if syslog-ng gets into this state. I'm guessing max pending socket
> connections (on /dev/log) is reached, or the already existing sockets
> fill up, or something. If I dont kill -9 syslog-ng before this happens I
> cant even log in and am forced to do a power reset on the box.

Aye, that's pretty much the same symptoms I saw (except I saw it with
mongodb, and the bug that was in there doesn't exist in afsql, so it's
probably something similar, yet different).