[syslog-ng] 3.4 head on FreeBSD

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Wed Dec 12 15:23:54 CET 2012

Hello,

On 12/10/2012 11:27 AM, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> root at fb91:/root/syslog-ng-devel # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng onerestart
>> syslog_ng not running? (check /var/run/syslog.pid).
>> Unable to determine how to monitor this fd, follow_freq() not set and it
>> is not possible to poll it with the current ivykis polling method, try
>> changing IV_EXCLUDE_POLL_METHOD environment variable; fd='11'
>> Error initializing log_reader, closing fd; fd='11'
>> Error initializing message pipeline;
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng: WARNING: failed to start syslog_ng
> This is interesting, on 9.1RC3, uname -r should return 9.1RC3, which
> should trigger the follow-freq(1) stuff. I'll try to double check the
> logic.

Oddly enough, it seems to be fixed by
https://github.com/balabit/syslog-ng-3.4/commit/06fe6ea00df758fef6060931eb3f560039a86bf5
which is an update in ivykis. The related code in syslog-ng stayed the
same. Algernon gave me some code to help debugging:

fprintf(stderr, "FREEBSD RELEASE: %s\n", release);

and it printed the same info both before and after:

FREEBSD RELEASE: 9.1-RC3

Just tested also on FreeBSD 7, and it also seems to work (but there it
needs one little patch:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/files/patch-lib-ivykis-lib-include-iv_tls.h?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain
).

Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream