[syslog-ng] PROBLEM: Stats stop getting generating after nightly reload in logrotation script

Paul Braxton paulbraxton3 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:25:57 CEST 2012

Version: syslog-ng-premium-edition-4.1.3-1.rhel5

Operating system: CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

We are experiencing an issue where the statistics messages
stop getting generated after the nightly reload done by logrotation. This
happens pretty consistently after the logrotation runs, although sometimes upward
of an hour later.

This is the command in the log rotation script:

/etc/init.d/syslog-ng reload 2>/dev/null

We use the stats to track metrics and additional health
monitoring. We are concerned that logs also may be dropped when these stats
stop getting reported.

A full restart of syslog-ng fixes the issue.

Any info would be helpful, thanks!!!
-Paul