[syslog-ng] Possible memleak in 3.3 HEAD

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon Sep 19 07:13:28 CEST 2011

Jakub Jankowski <shasta at toxcorp.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I think I'm having a memleak in 3.3's HEAD. My production system, which
> receives ~300 messages/s throughout the day (so ~26.4 million
> messages daily) leaks ~700MB of memory per day.
>
> I did some investigation, here are the details:
>
> # syslog-ng -V
> syslog-ng 3.3.0beta2
> Installer-Version: 3.3.0beta2
> Revision: ssh+git://bazsi@git.balabit//var/scm/git/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-ose--mainline--3.3#no_branch#d6eea6a1130f8343b6600976d9f2319f9ed86c88

Could you try with a more recent git checkout? Bazsi fixed a couple of
memory leaks since d6eea6a1130f8343b6600976d9f2319f9ed86c88, and they
should all be gone with the most recent git HEAD
(0a3d844ff94a14d770bcdfa993f02e87e58a81f2).

> My build is patched with:
> - https://github.com/algernon/libmongo-client/commit/93c5cff05feec5d7f421acfdfcd68484b8a01b94
>   (so it compiles on rhel5)
> - https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2011-April/016375.html (I need
>   this feature)
>
> I don't think any of these is the reason, though.

Correct, these aren't the reason for the leaks.

> Those two parsers (csv-parser and db-parser) are doing exactly the same,
> they split my Apache HTTPd access logs into two parts: first column (which is
> the vhost name) and the rest of the line. I have them both because I needed to
> know if that's a leak in any particular parser type. (Apparently not)
[...]

While I haven't looked at the valgrind logs yet, I'd still suggest
trying the latest git HEAD, as there's a very high chance that it will
not have the leaks.

Hope that helps!

(I'll have a look at the valgrind logs when time permits, thanks for
investigating!)