[syslog-ng] kernel logging feature requests

Patrick H. syslogng at feystorm.net
Sat Sep 17 05:16:49 CEST 2011

While setting up a new server at home I've come across 2 feature
requests that would be fairly nice to have (and not that hard to
implement I would think).

1) When the 'kernel' flag is set on a file() source (like for reading
/proc/kmsg), look for the printk time (eg "[ 1234.567890]") and
calculate when the message would have occurred instead of just using
when the line was read off the file. Basically check to see the number
of seconds the system has been up, subtract the printk time, and then
subtract that from current time.

2) I grab all kernel messages with priority of crit or higher and send
it to the usertty() destination, but this destination doesnt support
templates. It'd be nice to be able to define the template. I mostly just
want to change the time format and remove the hostname (since these will
only come from localhost on my setup).