[syslog-ng] Logs for patterns, patterns for logs

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Thu Sep 15 14:28:50 CEST 2011

Hello,
I'd like to pick one topic from last weeks syslog-ng newsletter:
"
Logs for patterns, patterns for logs
------------------------------------
We also would like to extend our UNIX/Linux patterns. Creating logs in a
"lab" environment just for pattern creation is very time consuming. It
would be very helpful for us, if you could send logs in exchange for
patterns. Just make sure, that there is no sensitive data left in the
logs, as the result will be published to make it available for the whole
syslog-ng community.
I published a blog ( http://czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2010/11/log-sample-collecting-project/
), how I collect logs for pattern creation, but of course, any logs are
welcome!
"
Currently I'd like to extend our coverage of login/logout events, but any other logs are welcome. We already have many ftp services covered, but only the ancient uw-imap is covered from e-mail (as that's what I used in the past 15+ years :) ). If you could send logs, I'd be very happy to turn them into patterns.
Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream