[syslog-ng] mismatching size/inode information

Gbe gbe gbeantipub at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:21:36 CEST 2011

Hi everyone !

I have this message in my logs repeated several times and for different
files :
« syslog-ng[964]: The current log file has a mismatching size/inode
information, restarting from the beginning;
filename='/var/log/squid3/access.log' »

This message comes from this part of the code in src/logreader.c :
644   if (cur_inode &&
645       cur_inode == log_reader_get_inode(self) &&
646       cur_size <= log_reader_get_size(self))
647     {
648       /* ok, the stored state matches the current file */
649       log_reader_update_pos(self, cur_pos);
650       return;
651     }
652   else
653     {
654       /* the stored state does not match the current file */
655       msg_notice("The current log file has a mismatching size/inode
information, restarting from the beginning",
656                   evt_tag_str("filename", self->follow_filename),
657                   NULL);
658       goto error;
659     }

Does this mean I may have a hardware problem? Hard drive not working
properly, file system damaged, …
Google hasn't been really helpful so far.

Greg.