[syslog-ng] Another patterndb limitation

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Wed Nov 30 21:51:23 CET 2011

I am attempting to parse information from a message that is proving difficult.
The data is of the form;

this data:should be:parsed:on colons

but the only tool I have to use is ESTRING since the text between
the : characters may contain spaces.

The problem is that ESTRING will return the text AND the : following it.

I got to thinking some more (and that is dangerous for everyone) and
realized that I can not parse

the key words are (one two three) to look at

and get a variable that matches (one two three) because QSTRING
does not include the braces.

I would like to see something like

ESTRING - return all the text up to and include the terminator character
eSTRING - return all the text up to but NOT including the terminator character

But now I have a problem. For consistency I would like to see

QSTRING - return all of the quoted text including the quote characters
qSTRING - return all of the quoted text excluding the quote characters.

These would be consistent with ESTRING and eSTRING but would be inconsistent
with the current use of QSTRING.

There was a recent patch submitted for SET, that I would change to

MSET - return all of the text (M)atching any character in the set
mSET - return all of the text not (m)atching any character in the set

So I am asking for suggestions on how to get my new

eSTRING and my changed QSTRING functionality?

comments? suggestions?

Evan