[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.3.1 quits at reload

Michael Hocke michael.hocke at nyu.edu
Tue Nov 29 18:47:04 CET 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 4:08 PM, Dave Rawks wrote:

> On 11/28/2011 12:48 PM, Michael Hocke wrote:
>
>> I figured out how to reproduce this error. It happens after sending 16 HUPs to the process. This seems to be the magic number. This is the error output I am getting:
>>
>> ------> SNIP <------
>> Internal error, duplicate configuration elements refer to the same persistent config; name='dd_queue(d_rad_ap,d_rad_ap#0)'
>

>> Could this be a side effect of the (now fixed) bug concerning the "duplicate configuration elements"?
>>
>> - Michael
>>

> This bug has been identified and fixed as of the current 3.3.3 version
> of syslog-ng.

I just upgraded to 3.3.3 and I am still experiencing syslog-ng quitting on me after 16 HUPs:

- --------> SNIP <---------
# /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng --foreground -e
Syslog connection established; fd='9', server='AF_INET(128.122.253.15:514)', local='AF_INET(0.0.0.0:0)'
syslog-ng starting up; version='3.3.3'
Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
[...]
Error opening syslog device; filename='/dev/log', error='No such device or address (6)'
Error initializing source driver; source='s_sys', id='s_sys#0'
Error initializing message pipeline;
Error initializing new configuration, reverting to old config;
Multiple internal() sources were detected, this is not possible;
Error initializing source driver; source='s_local', id='s_local#0'
Error initializing message pipeline;
Quit (core dumped)

I tried running it in verbose, debug, and trace mode but I couldn't syslog-ng make me tell more why it is having problems.

Should I file a bug report?

- - Michael