[syslog-ng] Multi-threaded in open source?

Patrick H. syslogng at feystorm.net
Fri Nov 25 13:12:24 CET 2011

Sent: Fri Nov 25 2011 05:04:01 GMT-0700 (MST)
From: Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu>
<syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] Multi-threaded in open source?
> On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 19:52 -0700, Patrick H. wrote:
>> Yes, the 3.3 branch supports threading. Note though that 3.3 hasnt had
>> a great track record so far (lots of bugs). However 3.3.3 might be
>> stable enough for production use.
> The track record is true enough, however the positive feedback has
> started too. So at least give it a try, send feedback and fall back to
> older in case an issue happens.
>
> I only had a single 3.3.x fix ever since 3.3.3, which is more than a
> week old now :)

Actually I have found a bug in 3.3.3, I just havent had time to go track
it down.
I ran into a case where I had a filter that was setting a macro called
'FEXT' which I was using in a file destination for the filename
extension. However it was acting as if the FEXT macro didnt exist at all
(as filenames had no extension) and the message text was replaced with
the contents of the FEXT macro. I downgraded syslog-ng to 3.2.4 with the
exact same config (except with the threading config option removed) and
it behaved as expected there.