[syslog-ng] Cannot start syslog-ng on Debian

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Sat Nov 5 15:22:06 CET 2011

Hery Fanomezantsoa <rhfano at gmail.com> writes:

> filter f_mail {
>     host("192.168.10.60") and facility(17);
> };

Are you sure this will do what you expect it to do?

But, to make it clear: when you try to start up syslog-ng, does it
start, or does it display an error? Or does neither?

If it starts up, is it listening on port 1468? (check with netstat
-tlnp | grep syslog-ng).

If it is listening there, and you send messages, do they disappear?

Do they still disappear if you remove the filter?

If they don't, I'd suggest adding the following to your syslog-ng.conf:

options { use_dns(no); };

I believe your problem is that your filter doesn't work, because
syslog-ng resolves the hostname, so it never matches an IP. Disable
resolving, and there you go.