[syslog-ng] 3.2 and 3.3 git experiences

Peter Czanik czanik at balabit.hu
Sat Nov 5 14:34:29 CET 2011

Hello,

I compiled and quickly tested the latest git versions of syslog-ng 3.2
and 3.3. Here are some results:

OS X: 3.2 compiles and runs fine once I remove "#define HAVE_ENVIRON 1"
from the generated config.h No luck at all compiling 3.3

FreeBSD: tested only 3.3 by slightly editing the sysutils/syslog-ng
port. As syslog-ng 3.3 dependencies were already on the machine, it was
easy to generate a new tgz release:
export LEX=/usr/local/bin/flex
./autogen.sh
./configure
gmake dist
I copied the resulting tgz to /usr/ports/distfiles, under a new name:
syslog-ng_3.3.2.tar.gz and deleted
/usr/ports/sysutils/syslog-ng/distinfo, as it contains checksum info for
3.3.1. The Makefile had to be modified only to reflect the version
change to 3.3.2. "pkg-plist" also had to be fixed to follow up the
change in line "lib/libsyslog-ng-3.3.1.so".
The resulting syslog-ng binary worked fine for me with any configuration
options set during "make config".
The above tests were done on a FreeBSD 8.1 machine. I'll do a quick test
on FreeBSD 9 (the current cvs version) later this afternoon, as the
Makefile seems to have v9 related fixes:
.if ${OSVERSION} >= 900007
        @${REINPLACE_CMD} \
                -e 's|utmp|utmpx|' -e 's|getutent|getutxent|' \
                -e 's|ut_name|ut_user|' \
                ${WRKSRC}/configure ${WRKSRC}/modules/afuser/afuser.c \
                ${WRKSRC}/lib/utils.c ${WRKSRC}/lib/utils.h
.endif
Updating my ports tree right now...

Linux: I tested 3.2 only with openSUSE 11.4, and it worked for me
without any problems. The package is available in the openSUSE build
service at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Aczanik%3Asyslog-ng32
with sources and download links.

I tested 3.3 on openSUSE 11.4 and factory (well, actually 12.1 RC2), and
also compiled for 11.3 (but did not test the resulting packages). The
packages are available in the openSUSE build service at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Aczanik%3Asyslog-ng33
with sources and download links.

Bye,

--
Peter Czanik (CzP) <czanik at balabit.hu>
BalaBit IT Security / syslog-ng upstream