[syslog-ng] Simple config question

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Thu Nov 3 16:27:49 CET 2011

Miguel Alvarez <miguellvrz9 at gmail.com> writes:

> After being less than impressed with the stability of rsyslog, I just
> discovered syslog-ng and it looks really impressive but a bit
> overwhelming!
>
> I have a simple configuration with my existing rsyslog set up where
> it's performing normal system syslog responsibilities but also tagging
> other log files and then forwarding them to a centralized log server.
> The examples I've seen for syslog-ng are making my head swim so I was
> hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction on how
> to do the same with syslog-ng.

I don't quite understand the "tagging other log files" part, I'm afraid
(but my rsyslog knowledge is... *ahem* lacking). Could you perhaps share
the rsyslog config with us?

We could then see about how to convert it to a similar syslog-ng.conf.

(By the way, an rsyslog.conf->syslog-ng.conf converter has been
requested before, and one of these days, I might get around to write it,
especially if there's bigger interest in such a tool.)