[syslog-ng] Memory leak on SIGHUP on 3.0.1 and up

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Tue Nov 1 19:55:16 CET 2011

Simon Gauthier <gauthier.simon at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am using syslog-ng 3.01 and I experience memory leak on SIGHUP. This
> has been seen on a standard Fedora 10 system with syslog-ng 3.0.1 to
> 3.0.10. the same test leak also with 3.3.1.
>
> My syslog-ng.conf file has no rules in it.
>
> A simple bash script sending a SIGHUP to the syslog-ng process will leak
> memory at a fast face.
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> while true; do
>     date
>          # $1 is syslog-ng pid
>          sudo /usr/bin/kill -1 $1
>         done
>
> Any idea about, that?

Not sure about anything before 3.3, but there have been numerous leak
fixes post 3.3.1.

Could you perhaps try a recent git snapshot?

Or, if you prefer make dist tarballs (so you only need to ./configure &&
make && make install, pretty much), then the following address has a git
snapshot (built around every midnight, but I triggered a rebuild a
couple of hours ago):
 http://packages.madhouse-project.org/syslog-ng/3.3/syslog-ng-3.3-HEAD.tar.gz