[syslog-ng] Configuring Syslog-ng client to start on a specific IP

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Mon May 9 17:13:11 CEST 2011

Pramod Pillai <pramodpillaip at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I am using Solaris box and it has multiple IP interfaces.
> I need to force the syslog-ng client to run on a specific interface
> card i.e on a specific IP.
> How can I do that.
>

> Each interface card is configured to run on different subnet and they
> can't talk to each other. ( for security reasons )
> Hence when I run my syslog-ng client I end up running on the interface
> where I login. I want to change it.
>  I want the syslog-client to create a socket on the interface ( IP )
> which I specify ( in the config file ).

You can use the ip() option within a tcp or udp source, as documented in
the administrator's guide:

http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-ose-v3.2-guide-admin-en.html/reference_source_tcpudp.html#id377384

(It should work similarly in older versions of syslog-ng aswell).

An UDP source that is listening on, say, 192.168.0.1 would look
something like this:

source s_net_192 {
  udp(ip("192.168.0.1"));
};

(The tcp() and syslog() sources have the ip() option aswell)