[syslog-ng] Integrating syslog-ng on Solaris 10

Michael Hocke michael.hocke at nyu.edu
Tue May 3 16:19:39 CEST 2011

On May 1, 2011, at 3:47 AM, Pramod Pillai wrote:

> On Solaris machine the legacy logging is done by SMF system-log. And
> there are many Solaris SMF  which depends on system-log SMF.

Solaris SMF knows the concept of instances, i.e. you can configure multiple instances of an SMF object like system-log. What I did in my case I grabbed a copy of the default manifest of system-log and added another instance block right at the end of the default instance:

        <instance name='syslog-ng' enabled='false'>

                <exec_method
                        type='method'
                        name='start'
                        exec='/usr/local/etc/svc/method/syslog-ng %m'
                        timeout_seconds='600'>
                  <method_context>
                        <method_credential user='root' />
                  </method_context>
                </exec_method>

                <exec_method
                        type='method'
                        name='stop'
                        exec='/usr/local/etc/svc/method/syslog-ng %m'
                        timeout_seconds='60'>
                  <method_context>
                        <method_credential user='root' />
                  </method_context>
                </exec_method>

                <exec_method
                        type='method'
                        name='restart'
                        exec='/usr/local/etc/svc/method/syslog-ng %m'
                        timeout_seconds='60'>
                  <method_context>
                        <method_credential user='root' />
                  </method_context>
                </exec_method>

                <template>
                        <common_name>
                                <loctext xml:lang='C'> system log ng
                                </loctext>
                        </common_name>
                        <documentation>
                                <manpage title='syslog-ng' section='8'
                                        manpath='/usr/local/man' />
                        </documentation>
                </template>
        </instance>

Once you delete the default manifest and import the modified manifest by using svccfg you will have two instances of system-log:

$ svcs system-log
STATE          STIME    FMRI
disabled       Nov_11   svc:/system/system-log:default
online         Nov_11   svc:/system/system-log:syslog-ng

That will satisfy all the dependencies other services and milestones my have.

- - Michael