[syslog-ng] syslog-ng stats

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Sun Mar 20 19:32:33 CET 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 15:17 +0200, Ioan Indreias wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Running with syslog-ng OSE 3.2.1 and wondering what exactly mean some
> of the parameters by STATS.
>
> Please find below an extract of the output we get (with the default
> stats_level) , hoping to receive some hints from you.
>
> global > payload_reallocs = ?

The number of times the payload structure of a LogMessage needed to be
reallocated. A high number of this probably means that you have a lot of
name-value pairs, and the preallocation is not sufficient for your
setup.

It is not a big issue, however it causes the performance to be dropped
somewhat.

The heuristics to allocate a payload is: the length of the incoming
message mulitplied by 2, and this is where all name-value pairs (MSG,
PID, PROGRAM, and user-defined ones too) need to be stored. Each
name-value pair has some overhead too.

Basically if this is number is large, or even if it's non-zero, I'd like
to know about it.

> global > msg_clones = ?

The number of times a message needed to be cloned. messages need to be
cloned in case a log path is changing the message (with a parser or
rewrite rule for instance), since syslog-ng ensures that parallel
branches of the log processing tree (root is the source, branches
described by the log statements, forks is when the same message needs to
go multiple directions) receives the same message.

> global > sdata_updates = ?

Counts the number of times a new structured data member was added to a
message, causing the SDATA array to be updated. This is a slower
operation, therefore it is counted to make it possible to diagnose
performance issues.

> why center > received is 0 ? From OSE 3.2 manual, Chapter 14, it
> should be the "total number of messages received from every configured
> sources."

This is a bug, that I never got around to fixing yet.