[syslog-ng] PostgreSQL, MonitorWare Schema and log presentation/analysis

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:27:15 CET 2011

Hi there,

 I've searched hi and low for a log analyzer/presenter for PostgreSql
backend (still looking) but keep bumping into stuff like LogAnalyzer wanting
a MonitorWare Schema.. Searching for that with syslog-ng, I've been
unsuccessful (or I am missing something), other than getting the SQL schema
below on a chinese site.

 Now my quetion: Anybody else used syslog-ng to pump directly into a
PostgreSQL db a Monitorware Schema?

 Any other place I can get some more information on this schema usage?

 Anybody using PostgreSQL as a storage back end with a Web based GUI?

(Before we enter the MySQL vs PostgreSQL debates, the answer is simple: we
know postgresql, we don't know mysql, and if we hit performance issues in
the current environment, we know we will need to procure the necessary HW
and handle those decisions there)

CREATE TABLE SystemEvents
(
ID int unsigned not null auto_increment primary key,
CustomerID bigint,
ReceivedAt datetime NULL,
DeviceReportedTime datetime NULL,
Facility smallint NULL,
Priority smallint NULL,
FromHost varchar(60) NULL,
Message text,
NTSeverity int NULL,
Importance int NULL,
EventSource varchar(60),
EventUser varchar(60) NULL,
EventCategory int NULL,
EventID int NULL,
EventBinaryData text NULL,
MaxAvailable int NULL,
CurrUsage int NULL,
MinUsage int NULL,
MaxUsage int NULL,
InfoUnitID int NULL ,
SysLogTag varchar(60),
EventLogType varchar(60),
GenericFileName VarChar(60),
SystemID int NULL
);

CREATE TABLE SystemEventsProperties
(
ID int unsigned not null auto_increment primary key,
SystemEventID int NULL ,
ParamName varchar(255) NULL ,
ParamValue text NULL
);