[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 3.0.7 shows 2 daemons on restart

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Mar 10 09:54:51 CET 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 13:04 +0530, Rakesh Rajasekharan wrote:
> Aplogies for creating soem confusion there by way of my pasting the
> o/p.
> yes.. i just verifed and this now makes sense. But, I have noted
> something differnet again.
> The issue of 2 daemons is not reported during reboot of a system. Post
> reboot , I only have one single syslog daemon running.
> And the PID I have verified , it is different from the previous ones
> which means this is a new daemon.
> I have bundled the start adn stop commands into a script which i
> normally use to start or stop and to which i have created links to the
> sysltem start up and shutdown scripts on HPUX so, he same is used
> there as well.
> Can someone help me understand this varied behaviour on restart.

Well, it should be the same if syslog-ng gets the same command line
arguments. Are you sure that they are the same if you start manually or
by the system boot process?

As Sandor has said, the --process-mode option (or -F for that matter)
influence how syslog-ng itself is managing its own run. (whether to use
a supervisor or not).

Also the PID file that syslog-ng writes contains the PID of the 'real'
syslog-ng and not the supervisor. The supervisor exits if the real
process is terminated normally.

So you can check what's in the pidfile, that's the syslog-ng actually
doing work.

On Linux, syslog-ng changes the process name to contain whether it is a
supervisor or not, but I guess that hack doesn't work on HP-UX.