[syslog-ng] afsql module error

Eshan Bhide ebhide at globalgossip.net
Tue Mar 8 08:16:47 CET 2011

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup a master syslog-ng server which listens on UDP syslog
port to incoming squid access log and Cisco syslog messages. It uses a
db_parser to parse and store these access logs in different variables. I now
need to store these values in a simple mysql database. I have created the
database schema and thought of using a pipe and a wrapper script to write
the query. But read that there are problems sometimes with this approach.
I then thought about doing it using libddb and downloaded the
package syslog-ng_3.2.2 from the website.

So far so good, but when I try to run syslog-ng it gives me an error:

 syslog-ng
Error opening plugin module; module='afsql',
error='/usr/local/lib/syslog-ng/libafsql.so: undefined symbol:
dbi_result_free'
Error opening plugin module; module='afsql',
error='/usr/local/lib/syslog-ng/libafsql.so: undefined symbol:
dbi_result_free'
Error parsing destination, destination plugin sql not found in
/usr/local/etc/syslog-ng.conf at line 61, column 3:

  sql(type(mysql)
  ^^^

Any pointers on what I'm missing here ? I have commented out the '@module
afsql'  line in modules.conf, have made sure I've got the latest libdb and
libdb-devel packages. I'm running CentOS 5.x and just don't know how to
proceed :( Appreciate all and any help guys thank you.

--
Eshan Bhide
Engineer, Core Infrastructure and Systems Development

14 Wentworth Ave
Surry Hills, NSW 2010 Australia

IMPORTANT NOTICE : The information in this email is confidential and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, any use or dissemination of the information and any
disclosure or copying of this email is unauthorised and strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please promptly inform us by reply email or telephone. You should also delete
this email and destroy any hard copies produced.