[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng timestamp problem

Zoltán Pallagi pzolee at balabit.hu
Fri Jun 3 14:46:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

general description about timezone in syslog-ng:
* If no timezone information in the incoming message, syslog-ng will
assign the local timezone for the message by default
  * The default timezone can be overridden using the global
recv_time_zone() or source specific time_zone() option
* If the incoming message contains timezone information, syslog-ng will
use it as timezone

Because BSD syslog protocol does not contain timezone information in
timestamp by default (example for BSD timestamp: Jan  1 14:45:22), if
your client send BDS style messages, syslog-ng will use the local timezone.
There are two possible solutions:
  * you can override the default timezone using the above options
(time_zone(), recv_time_zone())
  * you can change the default timestamp type for the sent messages in
the clients. To change it use the 'ts_format("iso")' option in every
client configuration, after changing, syslog-ng will use an extended
timestamp for BSD messages (e.g.: 2011-03-24T15:13:45+01:00).

Also, there is a third solution, you can use syslog protocol (rfc 5424)
instead of BSD, in this case you can use syslog() sources on the server,
and syslog() destination on the clients, the default timestamp for
syslog protocol is ISO date.