[syslog-ng] Inability to filter/log hostnames

Norman Elton normelton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 18:39:08 CEST 2011

I'm running syslog-ng 3.2.4 from RedHat's RPM. Unfortunately, I can't
seem to log the hostname as specified in the incoming UDP packet. We
don't do DNS resolution; rather, just want to log what the sending
host is passing along. No relays in the mix, but we have
keep_hostname() enabled. My global options:

        flush_lines(10);
        flush_timeout(750);
        time_reopen (10);
        log_fifo_size (1000);
        keep_hostname (yes);

When I log $HOSTNAME or $HOST, I just get the sender's IP address.
Similarly, filters based on these macros don't work properly. This all
seemed to work on prior versions of syslog-ng (2.something).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Norman