[syslog-ng] syslogd as well as syslog-ng running simultaneously

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Jul 20 12:54:20 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 14:06 +0530, Rakesh Rajasekharan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have compiled syslog-ng 3.0.7 successfully on an AIX machine. But I
> have noticed that I now have both traditional syslog syslogd as well
> as syslog-ng daemons running simultaneously.
>     root 237722 139372   0   Mar 24      -
> 2:34 /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/sbin/syslog-ng -F
> -f /opt/soe/local/syslog_ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf
> -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid
>     root 307444 139372   0   Apr 04      -  0:03 /usr/sbin/syslogd
>
>  Is this fine or ther is  something that has to be done to fix it.
> Please let me know.

Well, since you seem to have compiled syslog-ng on your own, the
integration into your OS (e.g. service registration) must have been
performed by you manually.

You should probably disable the syslogd service via the native AIX
service manager, unless you've ensured that the two daemons do not
collide on things like udp/514 and log files.