[syslog-ng] Cross-compile problem with path in 3.2.4

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Jul 14 13:44:25 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 14:34 +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
> Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> writes:
>
> >> Any idea to get around that would be appreciated :)
> >
> > although I didn't get the build log, I might be able to help to diagnose
> > the problem.
>
> I'll forward the build & config logs privately.
>
> > You seem to have static libraries only, which is strange as the
> > configure script contains
> >
> > LT_INIT([dlopen disable-static])
>
> What I've found so far, is that during configure, the script correctly
> detects that the target architecture supports shared libraries, but when
> it tries to check whether libtool supports them, it concludes that it
> does not.
>
> This is what I saw in the config.log:
>
> configure:9376: checking whether the armel-unknown-linux-gnueabi-gcc-std=gnu99 linker (armel-unknown-linux-gnueabi-ld) supports shared libraries
> configure:10367: result: yes
> [...]
> configure:10606: checking dynamic linker characteristics
> configure:11269: result: no
>
> According to m4/libtool.m4, the result of "checking dynamic linker
> characteristics" is $dynamic_linker. Which gets set to "no" for some
> reason.
>
> I did not manage to get further than that yet, unfortunately. I wanted
> to prepare a patch that makes libtool.m4 a bit more verbose, so we could
> see what goes wrong and where, but didn't have the time yet.

As far as I see, the dynamic_linker is determined based on $host_os
variable, which probably gets set based on the --host parameter. And it
seems to be unknown.

Hmm.. your configure option seems to include --host=i686 which is not a
complete host identifier. This is probably the root cause, but honestly
I'm not that much into cross compilation, so I can't help too much in
this regard.