[syslog-ng] change from rsyslog to syslog-ng

Josu Lazkano josu.lazkano at barcelonamedia.org
Fri Jul 8 12:37:29 CEST 2011

Hello everybody!

I finished to configure my syslog system. I am using rsyslog on clients side and syslog-ng on the server side. It works well, but I have a little problem with Apache vhosts logs.

I want to send all vhosts logs to my syslog-ng server, but I don't know how to do with rsyslog.

Is possible to do with syslog-ng?

My Apache logs are configured this way:

ErrorLog /var/www/domain1/log/error.log

LogLevel warn

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "x\.x\.x\.x" dontlog

SetEnvIf Remote_Addr "y\.y\.y\.y" dontlog

CustomLog /var/www/domain1/log/access.log common env=!dontlog

On the same machine I have lots of vhost logs:

/var/www/domain1/log/error.log

/var/www/domain1/log/access.log

/var/www/domain2/log/error.log

/var/www/domain2/log/access.log

/var/www/domain3/log/error.log

/var/www/domain3/log/access.log

Is preferable to change all rsyslog to syslog-ng?

Thanks for your great help.

Best regards.