[syslog-ng] Third-party module collection updates

Gergely Nagy algernon at balabit.hu
Fri Jul 1 14:37:55 CEST 2011

Hi!

A repository for third-party and experimental modules was announced in
May[0], and I'd like to give a quick update about what's been brewing
there since then:

* The SMTP destination has been updated a few times for newer versions
  of syslog-ng 3.3. As of this writing, it's up to date with current
  3.3.

* The MongoDB destination was copied there too, as its easier to
  maintain one copy, instead of a branch for 3.3 and 3.4 each.

  It's also been updated to use recent versions of the libmongo-client
  library, so it can take advantage of features added in the past few
  months, such as the ability to use Replica Sets and safe mode (see my
  earlier RFC[1] about these - what's mentioned there is implemented
  now).

  The host() and port() parameters are now gone, and no backward
  compatibility exists yet. That will be fixed at a later time.

* On the modules/rss branch, there is an initial RSS destination by
  Viktor Tusa <tusa at balabit.hu>. It has a few serious issues, like not
  escaping the log messages, and outputting an invalid format, but those
  will be corrected Soon.

  There's not much one can use it for just yet, but it's going to be a
  neat toy, nevertheless!

* The log visualisation helper[2] is included in tools/visualisation/.

  By the way, a new demo video is also available at
  http://vimeo.com/25700679, which shows ~3 months of logs in 50
  minutes. Quite a bit longer than the previous video, and made with
  different gource settings, to be a bit less messy.

For the time being, the module collection is primarily developed against
syslog-ng 3.3. The modules have a high chance of working with 3.4
aswell, but that's not tested, and only minimal effort is made to be
compatible with both. I'll try to figure out an easy way to properly
support both versions in the future, but at the moment, the focus is on
3.3.

 0: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.syslog-ng/11403
 1: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.syslog-ng/11557
 2: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.syslog-ng/11569