[syslog-ng] syslog-ng deadlock if /dev/console locks?

Sandor Geller Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Jan 27 11:04:01 CET 2011

> I loudly disagree. Files are not "always writable". We continue to bump into the
> case where something generates tones of logs and fills the filesystem. The files
> are not writeable when this occurs, and syslog-ng can never recover from this even
> when space is made available again. The lame logic needs to be applied to files
> as is done for all other destinations.

I'm sorry but our opinion doesn't matter too much... If I read the
linux kernel code correctly then for regular files poll() isn't even
implemented at the VFS layer so files are always writeable.
syslog-ng's behaviour of not wasting time for calling poll() for
regular files is correct.

Of course I could be wrong so BalaBit folks are more than welcome to chime in :)

Regards,

Sandor