[syslog-ng] Problem with getting syslog-ng statistics

Aleksei Plotnikov quadrun at hot.ee
Mon Jan 24 10:50:30 CET 2011

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with getting statistics from syslog-ng 3.0.5 (under
Debian 5.0.4) using it's socket file.

In our configuration logs received by syslog-ng are being forwarded to
python scripts (which in turn send logs to database). Since sometimes
these scripts cannot handle the load, we want to monitor syslog-ng
statistics for dropped logs. Currently, I run a script from cron which
get statistics from syslog-ng socket file like this "echo STATS |
socat - /var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.ctl" and then parse output.
Most of time it works great, but during peak times when number of logs
get higher ( ~2000 logs/sec instead of ~1500 logs/sec), this cron script
cannot get any output from statistics. Also this message appears in
/var/log/syslog:
syslog-ng[21677]: Error writing control channel; error='Broken pipe
(32)'

Is it possible to tune syslog-ng statistics somehow, or maybe there is a
better way to get statistics?

Thanks,
Aleksei

Võimalik, et oled TASUTA 1600€ soojamaareisist vaid CV sisestamise kaugusel!
Vaata lähemalt SIIT.
http://www.cv.ee